12/21/2008 05:51:00 PM

Geocoins

YAY! My first geocoins came in the mail this week.

What is a geocoin you ask?

Well, a geocoin is a special coin created by individuals or groups of geocachers as a kind of signature item or calling card. Each geocoin is assigned a unique tracking ID which allows them to travel from geocache to geocache or to be passed amongst friends, picking up stories along the way.

How do Geocoins work you ask?

Because each geocoin is assigned a unique tracking number its progress can be tracked online through logs which the finder posts. There are different types of logs which can be made on a geocoin's personal home page, whether for virtually picking up or dropping off the coin, or simply for "discovering" the coin. You have the opportunity to share your thoughts on the geocoin page and to upload any photos associated with it. In addition, by logging a geocoin your online collection will reflect that you found that particular coin.

I ordered two coins from the Wisconsin Geocaching Association. One I plan to keep all for myself, and the other I plan to send off to have an adventure. I'm thinking out west to maybe visit The Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon. Two of my favorite places.

I can't wait until the weather gets a little bit warmer so the journey can begin! :D


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great looking coin... are you going to be selling any?

FALIA REVIEWS: said...

So nice to meet a fellow geocacher :) I haven't got any geocoins, but they do sound pretty neat. Happy geocaching! I'll check back and see how your geocaching adventures turn out :)

J said...

Be carefully about photographing & displaying those tracking numbers. I have heard many stories about people finding pictures of tracking #s on the web, and logging the coins in order to get icons & boost their find numbers, etc... If that happens and it is obvious... Groundspeak has been known to recall tracking numbers, making your coins untrackable.

~A~ said...

Hey J~

Thanks for the comments.
I took your advice on this one. It's too bad that things have to be that way.
Thanks for the heads up.
:)