12/03/2008 08:33:00 PM

Winter Caching

I'm fairly new to geocaching. I have only been actively caching since around October of this year. I have been trying to take it easy and figure this game out as I go along. So this weekend I figured out a little more. I found out about winter caching.

Ahhhh snow. I love snow. I have lived in a snow state my whole life. Snow represents the changing of the season. I love watching snow fall on a calm night. I love the way snow blankets the ground and coats the trees. It is beautiful. This weekend though, the snow punished me a little bit.

I decided that since it was going to be a balmy 38 degrees on Saturday that it would be a good way to test my winter caching abilities. One of my favorite places to visit is High Cliff State Park. It is a nice park with lots of hiking trails, camping, rock climbing, horseback riding, and swimming if you dare to venture into Winnebago.

I set out to find all the geocaches that were hidden inside the park. As I pulled into the park I noticed that the season pass lane was blocked off. What the hell? I pulled into the ranger lane and was informed right away that there was a gun hunt going on in the park that day. This meant that half the park was closed. Damn it! The ranger let me know the boundaries and I went in anyway.

All right, so half the caches I was going to get I can't. No biggie, still others I can attempt. High Cliff was still blanketed in snow from the previous Monday's storm. Not a ton, but enough to cover my feet as I was walking. Why I thought that my hiking shoes were going to keep my feet completely warm and dry as I am hiking around through the snow is beyond me. I was obviously cache-crazy that day or something. My feet were so damn cold and wet! They stayed that way for the half-hour plus ride home, the visit at the parent's house, and the quick bite to eat with the fam. Yay fun.

Any way, I ended up logging four finds for the day, took in some nice scenery, got some fresh air, and got a lesson in the importance of proper footwear. It was a good day. :)



Geese near the lake.

Frozen Winnebago.

Nums for the birdies tums.

6 comments:

J said...

You are a tougher gal than myself (actually you are much more of a gal than myself, but that is a whole other topic). We have nearly 200 finds under our belt and yet to go caching in the snow. People around our neck of the woods only get a few inches of snow per year and when we do we are not prepared to handle it. Last week I was in the grocery stores when a few flurries began to fall and people were talking about abandoning their cars in the parking lot, abandoning all hope, and fighting to the death over the stores precious toilet paper supply.

~A~ said...

That's funny J. I thought where you are you would get more snow. What we have now is nothing, so I thought I would try. I am going to need to buy a spade or something. I think I will be digging a lot more soon!

Linda S. Socha said...

Hello!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have a friend who wants me to do the geo thing with them so this is a very timely post for me. I do not know much about it al all.
Love your About Me photo. Hope your weekend is a good one
Linda

Charli Henley said...

Hi! I noticed you made a visit to my blog and I came to check your space out! I have never heard of geocaching! How do you pronounce it - "geo-catching" or "geo-cashing" ?

I will have to do some researc to learn more!

Happy hunting!

~A~ said...

Hey Charli and Linda~

Thanks for stopping by. It is pronounced geo-cashing. It's a lot of fun and the best part is it's free!

Check out geocaching.com for all things about it. It can be addictive. All this snow we have been getting has put a damper on my hunts. I just want to get out there and find more!

Love both your blogs, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

~A~

Anonymous said...

I kind of like the geo-catching moniker... It is pronounced "cashing". You can check out the geocaching.com website for more information and of course there are a number of other blogs out there like this one or mine, etc...

Once you've experienced it, you'll be hooked!!!